Disclaimer: Digital currencies (also known as digital assets, cryptocurrency or virtual currency) do not have inherent or underlying value. The purchase or sale of digital currency involves risk and can result in partial or complete loss of money and/or digital currency due to price fluctuations.
Please see Additional Disclaimers for other important terms relating to your use of the Services.
The Services. The MyBTC.ca service allows Users to purchase virtual currencies such as Bitcoin and/or Ether, from MyBTC.ca, or to sell virtual currencies such as Bitcoin and/or Ether, to MyBTC.ca, through the Website using one of the payment methods listed below in our payments section (the "Services")
User Acknowledgement. By using the Website, You acknowledge and agree that:
- The purchase and sale of any digital currency is inherently risky. Digital currencies are subject to constant price fluctuations and trading in digital currencies may result in partial or complete loss of funds. In using our Services You agree to assume all risk associated with the purchase, sale, trade or exchange of digital currencies and You will not hold MyBTC.ca. liable for the loss of any funds, either fiat or digital, incurred as a result of using our Services;
- Bitcoin and/or Ether and other digital currencies are not currently considered legal currency at law;
- The purchase and sale of Bitcoin and/or Ether may have tax implications and You are solely responsible for calculating, reporting and remitting any taxes that may be payable;
- MyBTC.ca is not a bank, credit union, trust, or any other kind of financial institution. It is not a deposit taking institution and does not accept deposits from Users, We merely provide a platform through which Users can purchase or sell digital currencies.
- MyBTC.ca uses a variety of single or aggregated sources to determine the Bitcoin and/or Ether price quote in respect of a transaction. We do not set the exchange rate or price for the digital currencies that can be purchased or sold on the Website. Rates are determined by many factors, including but not limited to market demand/sentiment. Users acknowledge that prices for digital currencies fluctuate at any moment, in less than seconds, without any notice. The Bitcoin and/or Ether price quote becomes firm once a User creates an order for purchase or sale, confirms his or her phone number to authenticate the order, and then proceeds to the checkout page.
- MyBTC.ca does not provide securities, investment contracts, or any other document or financial instrument considered at law to be a "security", and the Services We provide do not constitute trading, purchase, sale or exchange in securities, investment contracts or any other document or financial instrument considered to be a "security" at law.
Eligibility. In order to use the Website and/or Services You must be (i) at least eighteen (18) years old, (ii) a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; and (iii) residing in Canada at the time You are making transactions through the Website. An initial account profile is created at the time You confirm SMS verification with a valid Canadian cell phone number registered to a major Canadian carrier, which is required in order to use the Services and authenticate each transaction with a payment method featured on the MyBTC.ca homepage. You must also provide a mobile/digital wallet information to whichsend your Bitcoin and/or Ether or from which we can receive your Bitcoin and/or Ether.
We have also engaged Securefact Transaction Services Inc. (Securefact) to provide verification services for us. To verify your profile information is accurate and/or current, we utilize Securefact to match your personal information against the information contained in your Credit File Report and other third-party sources. This is a soft inquiry and will not affect your credit score or be visible to other financial institutions. You also consent to your personal information being compared to records maintained by third parties, including telecom and other service providers, and you consent to those third parties providing personal information to us and our third-party suppliers for the purpose of identity verification.
Some users are presented the option to connect and verify that they bank with a Canadian financial institution by logging into it through our integration of Flinks' Digital KYC product. By connecting your account via Flinks you are consenting to pass us information that respective financial institution has on record for you such as name(s) on the account(s), account number(s), currency type, balance, transaction history, mailing address, phone number and email address. Connecting your account via Flinks is completely optional and may be skipped or opted out of at any time.
Updates to Profile. MyBTC.ca reserves the right to request proof of identification and/or other evidence before updating a User's profile information.
Payments and Credits. You may only purchase Bitcoin and/or Ether on the Website using one of the following MyBTC.ca approved methods of payment to make an instant Bitcoin and/or Ether purchases (using instant payment methods) or to purchase credits to make Bitcoin and/or Ether purchases:
- Interac online, which allows You to pay directly from your bank account using a compatible debit card to make an instant purchase;
- Flexepin, which is pre-paid voucher purchased from a third party that You can redeem online for instant purchases or purchase myBTC.ca credits. For greater certainty, Flexepin vouchers must be redeemed for their full value and no refunds will be provided. However, website credits will be provided to your account for any amount not spent on an instant purchase;
- Interac e-Transfer, which is a Canadian email-based payment method where You can send funds from your online bank account to MyBTC.ca via email to purchase credits;
- In-person payments at Canada Post where the User presents a unique QR code downloaded from within the User's MyBTC.ca account profile to the Canada Post agent to scan and make payment with cash (CAD) or Interac Debit card;
- Bank Wire, where You transfer funds to Us through the SWIFT network to purchase MyBTC.ca credits, which is typically done in-branch with assistance of a bank teller: or
- Payments made through third-party payment processor Simplex.
Once You have purchased credits, You may purchase Bitcoin and/or Ether from MyBTC.ca in accordance with the transaction terms set out below. Any unused credits will remain in your account until spent. Your right to use the credits does not expire, unless permitted under local laws. Any funds used to purchase credits are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). You will not receive interest on the credit balance or on any funds You load onto your account. All credits will be displayed as their value in Canadian dollars.
If You sell Bitcoin and/or Ether to MyBTC.ca, You agree to receive Canadian dollars for the sale amount. You will receive payment by Interac e-Transfer or another approved payment method offered by MyBTC.ca.
Transactions Limits. MyBTC.ca imposes certain limits on the transactions You can process at any given time, in order to protect our Users. For more information on the transaction limits, please see our FAQ page located at https://mybtc.ca/faq.
Authentication. When You purchase or sell Bitcoin and/or Ether on the Website, You will be required to submit your email address, mobile wallet address, and your cell phone number. Before We process each transaction, We will send a text message with a pin number to your cell phone in order to authenticate the transaction. This allows Us to verify that You meet the eligibility requirements set forth above, and You hereby authorize Us to perform such authentications and verifications in order to process your transactions. We will only accept purchases from individuals who have a cell phone number with a major Canadian cell phone carrier (such as Rogers or Bell). If You feel You have been improperly denied, You may provide Us with a scanned copy of your phone bill and a piece of government issued identification, and, if approved, will validate your transaction and add your carrier to our list of approved cell phone carriers. We reserve the right to refuse to process any transaction at any time, for any reason, in our sole discretion, including if We have reason to believe You are or may use the Services for any criminal or illegal activities. In the event that a User fails the initial authentication process, MyBTC.ca reserves the right to request proof of identification, including photo ID and/or other evidence in order to authenticate a User.
Transaction Confirmation. To process a transaction, the User has to authenticate that he or she are in control of the email address by clicking on a confirmation link sent via email. Once the link has been clicked, the User will remain logged into the Website unless the user logs out or clears the browser cookies. However, no additional order or transactions will be able to be created by another person, even if the User is still logged in, because SMS verification is always required for each order.
Bitcoin and/or Ether exchange rate. When You make a purchase, We will send your purchased Bitcoin and/or Ether to the digital currency wallet address You populated on the order entry page and also confirmed after reviewing the summary page. If You purchase or sell Bitcoin and/or Ether, we use the most current spot rates available on exchange price aggregators to quote and determine how much Bitcoin and/or Ether or Canadian Dollars You will receive at the time of your transaction. We are not affiliated in anyway with the exchange price aggregators and have no control over their published rates.
Service Fees. In consideration for providing the Services, MyBTC.ca charges a service fee for each transaction ("Service fee"). The amount of Service Fee charged varies depending on a number of factors and sales taxes may apply. For more information, please see the MyBTC.ca FAQ located at https://mybtc.ca/faq.
No Refunds. It is not MyBTC.ca's policy to provide refunds for Bitcoin and/or Ether purchased on the Website. You hereby understand and agree that when You purchase or sell any Bitcoin and/or Ether or other digital currency on the Website, the transaction is final, and non-refundable.
Promotions. From time to time, MyBTC.ca may offer promotions or discounts on the Website. These promotions are offered in our sole discretion, and We may initiate or terminate a promotion at any time for any reason without notice.
User Content. All information, data, text, software, messages or other materials, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted to the Website by Users ("User Content"), is the sole responsibility of such Users. This means that the User, and not MyBTC.ca, are entirely responsible for all such material uploaded, posted, emailed, transmitted or otherwise made available by using the Service. MyBTC.ca does not control or actively monitor User Content and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such content. Under no circumstances will MyBTC.ca be liable in any way for any materials, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any materials or any defects or errors in any printing or manufacturing, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the viewing or use of any User Content posted, emailed, transmitted or otherwise made available via the Service.
Restrictions of Use of Services. In using the Website and/or Service, You shall not:
- use the Website and/or Services for any illegal, criminal and/or fraudulent purpose;
- copy any content unless expressly permitted to do so herein;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that:
- is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially or ethnically objectionable, encourages criminal behavior, gives rise to civil liability, violates any law, or is otherwise objectionable;
- You do not have a right to make available under any law or under a contractual relationship;
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party (including privacy rights);
- is or contains unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, solicitations for business, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation;
- contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment or data or the Website or that of any Users or viewers of the Website or that compromises a User's privacy; or
- contains any falsehoods or misrepresentations or create an impression that You know is incorrect, misleading, or deceptive, or any material that could damage or harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity or misrepresent their affiliation with a person or entity;
- interfere with or disrupt the Website or servers or networks connected to the Website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Website or probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any system or network or breach or circumvent any security or authentication measures;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, province, national or international law or regulation;
- collect or store personal data about other Users or viewers;
- license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Website;
- modify, translate, make derivative works of, disassemble, decompile, reverse compile or reverse engineer any software provided as part of the Website, except to the extent the foregoing restrictions are expressly prohibited by applicable law; or
- register for the Services on behalf of a group or corporate entity.
License of Content. By submitting, posting or displaying User Content on or through the Service, You grant Us (and our agents) a non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, modify, transmit, display and distribute such User Content. MyBTC.ca will not be responsible or liable for any use of User Content in accordance with these Terms. You represent and warrant that You have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the rights granted herein to any User Content that You submit.
Feedback. If You provide MyBTC.ca with any suggestions, comments or other feedback relating to any aspect of the Website and/or Services ("Feedback"), MyBTC.ca may use such Feedback in the Website or in any other MyBTC.ca products or Services (collectively, "MyBTC.ca Offerings"). Accordingly, You agree that: (i) MyBTC.ca is not subject to any confidentiality obligations in respect to the Feedback, (ii) the Feedback is not confidential or proprietary information of You or any third party and You have all of the necessary rights to disclose the Feedback to MyBTC.ca, (iii) MyBTC.ca (including all of its successors and assigns and any successors and assigns of any of the MyBTC.ca Offerings) may freely use, reproduce, publicize, license, distribute, and otherwise commercialize Feedback in any MyBTC.ca Offerings, and (iv) You are not entitled to receive any compensation or reimbursement of any kind from MyBTC.ca or any of the other Users of the Website in respect of the Feedback.
Links & Third-Party Websites. This Website may contain links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by MyBTC.ca. In no event shall any reference to any third party, third party product or service be construed as an approval or endorsement by MyBTC.ca of that third party, third party product or service. MyBTC.ca is also not responsible for the content of any linked websites. Any third-party websites or services accessed from the Website are subject to the terms and conditions of those websites and or services and You are responsible for determining those terms and conditions and complying with them. The presence on the Website of a link to any other website(s) does not imply that MyBTC.ca endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content or use of such websites, and You hereby release MyBTC.ca from all liability and/damages that may arise from your use of such websites or receipt of services from any such websites.
DISCLAIMER OF REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS. THE WEBSITE, SERVICES AND ALL MATERIALS PROVIDED THEREIN ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." MYBTC.CA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EITHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, BY USAGE OF TRADE, COURSE OF DEALING OR OTHERWISE INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE, SATISFACTORY QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ANY INFORMATION OR MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM, LOSS OF DATA, OR ANY OTHER LOSS THAT RESULTS FROM DOWNLOADING OR USING ANY SUCH MATERIAL. WE MAKE NO WARRANTIES ABOUT THE PRICE OR AVAILABILITY OF ANY DIGITAL CURRENCY.
THIRD-PARTY SERVICES. MYBTC.CA DOES NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, PROVIDE ANY CONDITIONS OR REPRESENTATIONS, OR ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY ANY THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR IN RESPECT TO ANY WEBSITE THAT CAN BE REACHED FROM A LINK ON THE WEBSITE OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING ON THE WEBSITE, AND MYBTC.CA SHALL NOT BE A PARTY TO ANY TRANSACTION THAT YOU MAY ENTER INTO WITH ANY SUCH THIRD PARTY. MYBTC.CA WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY TYPE OF CONTENT EXCHANGED BY MEANS OF THE SERVICE. NO DATA, INFORMATION OR ADVICE OBTAINED BY YOU IN ORAL OR WRITTEN FORM FROM US OR THROUGH OR FROM OUR SERVICES WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS. ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE WEBSITE OR APPS OR THROUGH THESE SERVICES IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. NOTHING ON OUR WEBSITE OR SERVICES CONSTITUTES, OR IS MEANT TO CONSTITUTE, ANY KIND OF ADVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO LEGAL, INVESTMENT, TAX, ACCOUNTING OR FINANCIAL ADVICE.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. TRADING, STORING, DEALING, PURCHASING, SELLING AND OTHERWISE USING DIGITAL CURRENCIES COMES WITH INHERENT RISKS. IN REGISTERING FOR AN ACCOUNT AND USING OUR SERVICES YOU AGREE THAT MYBTC.CA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE TO YOU IN ANY WAY FOR CHANGES TO THE SERVICES OR AVAILABILITY OF DIGITAL CURRENCY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, REGULATORY INTERVENTION BY A THIRD PARTY IN THE OPERATION OF THE WEBSITE AND SERVICE, OR THE UNDERLYING VALUE OF ANY VIRTUAL CURRENCY.
EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL MYBTC.CA BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM (I) YOUR USE OF OR YOUR INABILITY TO USE THIS WEBSITE, MYBTC.CA APP OR THE SERVICE, (II) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES, (III) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES IN THE MATERIALS ON THE WEBSITE, (IV) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR ANY OTHER FILES OR DATA THAT MAY BE HARMFUL TO COMPUTER OR COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT OR DATA THAT MAY HAVE BEEN TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR MYBTC.CA APP, (V) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY MATERIAL ON THE WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE; (VI) LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF DATA, FINES, FEES, PENALTIES. THESE LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY EVEN IF MYBTC.CA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
LIABILITY CAP. NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY CONTAINED HEREIN, MYBTC.CA'S LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT (FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE ACTION), WILL AT ALL TIMES BE LIMITED TO THE GREATER OF (A) FIFTY CANADIAN DOLLARS ($50) OR (B) AMOUNTS YOU'VE PAID MYBTC.CA IN THE PRIOR 12 MONTHS (IF ANY)THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENSION PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
Availability & Updates. MyBTC.ca may alter, suspend, or discontinue this Website at any time and for any reason or no reason, without notice. The Website or Services may be unavailable from time to time due to maintenance or malfunction of computer or network equipment or other reasons. MyBTC.ca may periodically add or update the information and materials on this Website without notice.
Security. Information sent or received over the Internet is generally unsecure and MyBTC.ca cannot and does not make any representation or warranty concerning security of any communication to or from the Website or any representation or warranty regarding the interception by third parties of personal or other information. You are responsible for safeguarding the password that You use to access the Services and You are responsible for any activities or actions under your password. You agree to keep your password secure. MyBTC.ca will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with these requirements.
Email Communication. By using the Services, You agree that MyBTC.ca will send You email to confirm transactions and otherwise administer the Services. You will also receive promotional emails from MyBTC.ca to the email address You provided, in accordance with anti-spam laws, unless You opt out of such email marketing.
English Language. It is the express wish of the parties that these Terms and all related documents be drawn up in English. C'est la volonté expresse des parties que la présente convention ainsi que les documents qui s'y rattachent soient rédigés en anglais.
Contact. If You have any questions about these Terms or if You wish to make any complaint or claim with respect to the MyBTC.ca Website or Service, please contact Us at: [email protected]
Last Updated: March 4, 2021